Palmers Brewery

Palmers Brewery

The Old Brewery in Bridport has been in operation since 1794. This makes Palmers one of the few United Kingdom producers able to claim continuous production for over 200 years on the original site; indeed, part of the Brewery Building is still Thatched. Founded by the Gundry family, local rope and net makers, the business was subsequently acquired in the late 19th Century by the Palmer brothers, John Cleeves and Robert Henry. Since then, it has been growing steadily whilst being handed down from generation to generation. Today, two more Palmer brothers are running the business; John, Chairman and Managing Director and Cleeves, the Sales and Marketing Director, great-grandsons of the Founder.

 

Palmers represents the very best of small independent brewers, the old values and methods of yesterday being carefully blended with the modern, efficient systems of today. From the outside, the brewery has changed very little in the last hundred years, its present water wheel was constructed in 1879, at a Bridport foundry and is still in good working order. The archway on the front of the building was built for use by the horse-drawn Brewery Drays, which right up to the end of the second World War, were a familiar sight, delivering Palmers Ales. When the first lorries were introduced, they were small enough to comfortably negotiate the archway, but today’s larger lorries have just a few inches to spare.

 

John Palmer
John Palmer, great grandson of the founder

In recent years, the business has seen steady expansion with increased demand for its range of draught ales and extensive wine list from all around the world. The brewery may not have changed much over the past 200 years, nor has the traditional taste of its beers, but the diverse range of products offered to its customers, along with their quality of production and presentation means Palmers can provide a complete service to all customers.The Old Brewery in Bridport has been in operation since 1794. This makes Palmers one of the few United Kingdom producers able to claim continuous production for over 200 years on the original site; indeed, part of the Brewery Building is still Thatched. Founded by the Gundry family, local rope and net makers, the business was subsequently acquired in the late 19th Century by the Palmer brothers, John Cleeves and Robert Henry. Since then, it has been growing steadily whilst being handed down from generation to generation. Today, two more Palmer brothers are running the business; John, Chairman and Managing Director and Cleeves, the Sales and Marketing Director, great-grandsons of the Founder.

Brewed by the Palmers Brewery:

Where is the Palmers Brewery?

Contact Information for the Palmers Brewery

Address: The Old Brewery, West Bay Road, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 4JA.
Phone Number: 01308 422396
Website: http://www.palmersbrewery.com/

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave A Comment